Maintaining Eligibility

When you accept and receive financial aid, you also accept the responsibility to maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) as stated in the HSU Catalog under Academic Regulations. There is a direct correlation between your academics and your financial aid eligibility. The satisfactory academic progress of a financial aid recipient requires that you pass your classes each term (meet your unit obligation) and complete your primary degree objective within a specific time frame. The Financial Aid SAP process runs at the end of every term once grades are posted and your SAP Status is updated. Stay informed regarding your Financial Aid SAP status and eligibility by reviewing the Financial Matters tab in your myHumboldt portal.

SAP Diagram

Financial Aid is disbursed to the student prior to the completion of units with the understanding that the student would have earned or passed all of their courses, earning all of the financial aid that was received. When you fail to earn all of the aid that was disbursed to you, this can lead to not meeting the conditions of maintaining Satisfactory Academic Progress and may result in a billing of the amount of aid that was unearned. You must also complete your degree within a specific time frame in order to maintain your eligibility to receive aid.

We are Here to Help

Changes to your enrollment can affect your Financial Aid eligibility and your status for Satisfactory Academic Progress. If you are considering dropping a course, withdrawing from HSU, or you find yourself not doing well in classes due to academic or personal reasons, please call or stop by and speak with a Financial Aid Counselor to discuss your situation, review eligibility, and the appeal process if necessary. We are here to help provide you with the resources and information necessary for you to make an informed decision about your educational career.