Institutional Aid

HSU Financial Aid has some of its own institutional money; funds are very competitive and also limited, which is why we highly encourage students to submit a Financial Aid application and apply for scholarships on the first day applications are available.

Educational Opportunity Program Grant (EOPG)

The EOPG is a grant awarded to first-year full-time undergraduate students admitted through the HSU Educational Opportunity Program/Student Support Services. This fund is awarded at the discretion of the Director of EOP/SSS.

State University Grant (SUG)

You must be classified as a California Resident (or an AB540 eligible student) in order to be considered for the State University Grant (SUG), which is for payment of CSU tuition and is the equivalent of your yearly tuition charge. The SUG is not applied to campus based fees. This grant may be reduced or cancelled if student fees are waived or paid by another source, including Cal Grants. Initial SUG awards are based on the level of financial need and are awarded at the full-time level and for the full year.

Enrollment: Undergraduate and credential students must be enrolled in 6 units or more in order to be eligible for this fund. Graduate students must be enrolled in 5 units or more.

Fund Limit:  For undergraduates and credential students the earned unit limit is 150 units. For graduates, the earned unit limit varies depending on the academic program.

Please note: Students pursuing a second Bachelor's, second Credential, or second Master's degree are not SUG eligible.

HSU Scholarships

Apply for



Humboldt State University has many scholarships that could assist you in paying for your education.  Amounts vary from $500 to $4000 annually, and some are renewable.  HSU awards approximately $600,000 in scholarships annually. Full list of Scholarships

The online application opens on November 15th of each year for the following academic year, and closes on January 31st. Apply for Scholarships by clicking the Quick Link on myHumboldt

Humboldt State University is a member of the California Collegiate Athletic Association, NCAA Division II Athletic Conference, offers athletic grants-in-aid to selected athletes. Contact the HSU Athletics Department for further information.

For more scholarship information, visit Other Types of Aid for tips on how to apply for private scholarships.